I redesign this RC foam board P-51D Mustang from the original plans that I made for papermodel. I simplify the design for easier building. The main material is still 5mm depron or polyfoam foam board. In this project it's the first time I use 4 of these new techniques. They are DIY spinner, new clear canopy molding, laminating film for covering and DIY retractable landing gear. I'm quite satisfied with all the result, except the landing gear still needs more improvement but, it has lots of potential. Although it worked but still, I will improve it in future projects. This Mustang is fast, even with just 50% throttle, I was trying hard to not hit a tree when flying it. I should add flaps for slower landing, but the time for this project is limited so I'll leave it to you to improvise with this plans, good luck and have a good building time.
1. Wingspan 1100mm / 43.3 inches
2. Flying weight : 1060 grams/ 37.4 oz
3. Wing loading : 47.5 gram/dm2 - 15.6 oz/sq.ft.
4. Wing cube loading : 10
5. Wing Area : 22.3 dm2 / 346 sq.in.
6. CG : 4 cm
- motor 35 - 650kv - 1200kv brushless motor
- Tested with DXW 3536 1200kv brushless motor prop 10x6x3
- ESC 50A
- Battery Lipo 3S 2200mah
- 4 metal gear 9 gram servos (micro servo)
- 1 metal gear standard servo
1. 5mm Depron/ Polyfoam
2. 3mm + 7mm Plywood
4. 0.3mm + 0.5mm Mica Plastic
5. hot glue, UHU glue, CA glue
6. packing tap/wax paper/ laminating film